Real Money Online Casinos in the USA
Gambling in the United States dates back to the 1800s. Conservative groups forced it out in the early 20th century until it returned to Nevada in 1931. Despite this, gambling has not faced restrictions on its expansion compared to sports betting. Every state had the power to regulate their online casino laws, but after Congress passed the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) of 1992, this power did not extend to sports betting. Casino gambling, on the other hand, remained within each state’s rights. Today, New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and recently, Michigan have passed laws that permit online casino gambling within their lines.
Indiana and Illinois seem not too far behind. However, online poker and real money casino games are available to players in almost all states since most states do not have laws regulating real money online casinos. The exceptions are Louisiana, Utah, and Washington, where online gambling is a criminal offense. This article is a guide for all gamblers interested in wagering at trusted USA online casinos and covers the current gambling climate, and all you need to know to have an exciting gaming experience.
DraftKings Sportsbook Online Review
FanDuel Sportsbook Review & Bonus Code 2020
$5 risk free bet
Fox Bet Sportsbook
$500 risk free bet
Casino Licenses in the United States
Online casinos took a lot longer to show up since retail casinos started operating legally because of a misinterpretation of the Wire Act (of 1961) by the United State’s Department of Justice. But in 2011, it was decided that the law only applied to sports betting, which opened the door for each state to legalize online casinos within their lines. The 2006 Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA) helped seal the legality of online gambling in stone and reinforced into law that it is illegal for gamblers to play at online providers across state lines.
In 2013 New Jersey became the first state to legalize and launch regulated US online casino games for real money, and the number has since increased. New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Michigan all have bodies responsible for providing licenses to deserving casinos for online operations and have unique laws guiding their activities. In most states, online casinos must partner with land-based casinos already operating within them.
In West Virginia, for example, land-based casinos like Wheeling Island Hotel can apply to the West Virginia Lottery Commission – the state’s licensing body.
The commission has set a yearly tax of 15% on all online casino revenue and issues a license at the cost of $250,000, and it is valid for five years. On expiration, the casino can renew the license for a fee of $100,000.
The Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board is the licensing body in the Keystone state. The state is known for her huge fees and tax rates, a discouragement for many smaller operators. Land-based casinos can currently apply for permits to offer online slot machines, online poker, online banked table games, or any combination of three at the cost of $4 million per one. The tax rate on online poker and table games is 14%, while the tax rate on online slots is a staggering 54%, which means the state makes even more than the operators.
With the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement, Delaware State Lottery, and Michigan Gaming Control Board coordinating online casinos’ activities in the other states, the licensing process is essentially the same. It is vital to ensure that the casino provider is reputable and operates legally within the state. This will also ensure your money and guarantee the security of your personal information, which you cannot vouch for at Illegal or offshore online casinos operating within your state.
What To Consider in Choosing An Online Casino Site in the US
Asides from reputation and legality of operations, several factors influence where a gambler chooses to play his or her online casino games. Each casino has its unique features that stand them out, and with proper research, you can find a provider that fully suits your needs.
- Banking methods: At real money online casinos in the US, what you have goes a long way to determine what you make out of the games you play. The best online casinos have several banking options that make it possible for gamblers to seamless deposit and withdraw money. These options usually include trusted brands that you are already familiar with, used for making your regular online purchases. This further increases the confidence of gamblers that their funds are secure.
- Security: A significant discouraging factor that prevents many regular players at physical casinos from switching to their online counterparts is the safety of their personal information. Registration usually requires most of your personal details, and your financial information is also necessary to effect deposits and withdrawals. The best websites secure their websites with SSL encryption software to ensure that no one can access your information other than you.
- Promotions and Bonuses: This is one area you should consider carefully before patronizing any online casinos. Every online casino has a welcome offer for new users, with each one trying to best the others within reasonable limits. The types of bonus offers available are further explained below, so it’s essential to check what the online casino is offering before you sign up. Occasional promotions might also be an attraction point, so check the casino’s website for current offers and take advantage.
- Reputation and Legalization: As the saying goes, a good name is better than great riches, or in this case, than attractive features or offers an online casino has on show. Many brands have built a good reputation due to the efficiency of their service and the assurance of regular payouts. No matter how new an online casino is, you will always have access to reviews. Ensure that you frequent providers with a track record of user-friendly services. It is also vital to be sure your casino provider operates legally in the state. Legal sites usually bear the licensing body’s logo, so be sure to verify this before you start playing.
- Loyalty Programs: Most casinos design their loyalty programs as tier-level rewards for existing players. The more you play, the more you accrue points of some sort and the more you progress through the various tiers. The rewards you qualify for also increase as you progress, and this is simply to encourage existing players to keep wagering on their platform. Not every US online casino has a dedicated loyalty or VIP program, so be sure to confirm that from their website.
- Customer support: We cannot overemphasize the importance of customer service support options. Online gamblers need to be able to communicate with representatives when complaints and questions arise. The best websites also have an extensive FAQ section answering common questions, ensuring that users only table technical issues at the service reps’ table.
- Choice of games: The variety of gaming options is also crucial to attracting a vast customer base to an online casino. The different types of games available at most casinos are explained below. The best casinos have a good mix of table games, slots, poker, and live dealer games. Ensure that your preferred game of choice is available at your provider to increase your chances of winning.
- Apps: Mobile apps have become a mainstay for virtually every online platform or service. The portability and ease of access mean that you can do what you need to do, wherever you are. The same applies to online casino gambling. Most have mobile apps for Android and iOS, which means that you can wager on your favorite games and cash out even on the go. In many cases, the features available per website are available as well via mobile apps.
- Software: The software refers to the casino’s partner responsible for providing the platform it runs on. There are several software providers, each with its perks. But some are more experienced and reputable than others. This means that your gaming experience is primarily tied to how good the software provider is. Ensure that your choice operates on a platform that makes your experience safe and fun at the same time.
Types Of Online Casino Bonuses For US Casino Players
- Welcome bonuses – These are aplenty at top US online casinos. Everyone wants to offer new players an offer they cannot resist.
- Reload bonuses – This type is usually for existing players that have earlier made a deposit. It is a reward for loyal customers to encourage them to keep playing.
- Payment method bonuses – This type of bonus is specific to a particular banking method and encourages gamers to keep using it.
- High roller and VIP bonuses – Most casinos have VIP programs for their existing and large figure bettors. There are additional benefits for these players to make them keep coming back.
- Refer-a-friend bonuses – As the name implies, refer your friend to play at the casino and win a gift.
- No deposit bonuses – A no deposit bonus is a free offer that each player receives once they register, even before making a deposit.
Real Money Online Casino Sites in the US
The top US online casinos include the following:
DraftKings Online Casino
DraftKings is the leading Daily Fantasy Sports provider on the US market and leveraged their influence to foray into the online casino gambling space. They first launched in New Jersey when they partnered with Atlantic City’s Resorts Casino Hotel. They are the only online provider operating in all the states they currently can – New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Michigan, and West Virginia. There is a raft of deposit and withdrawal methods, including credit cards, gift cards, and PayPal. New users get a $35 no deposit bonus when they sign up and a 100% match up on their first deposit up to $250. Pretty cool! There is an excellent mobile app available on Android and iOS with top developers like IGT, Evolution Gaming, and Games Lab, bringing some very great games to the casino. Still, the list is a bit underwhelming but should increase soon. There is no VIP or loyalty program at the moment.
Caesars Online Casino
Caesars casino online is only accessible to gamers in Pennsylvania and New Jersey at the moment. The online provider partnered with the land-based Harrah’s Casino in the Keystone state and at Caesars Atlantic City in New Jersey. The minimum age for playing at Caesars in both states is 21 years. New NJ gamblers receive a $25 no deposit bonus once they register and can earn a 100% deposit match bonus up to $300 when they use a promo code like New gamblers in Pennsylvania are eligible for a 100% deposit match bonus up to $500 when they use a promo code like PLAY500. There is a Caesars Rewards VIP program for existing customers across four tiers. The mobile app does not feature all their available online games, but the NJ app has a more decent collection that the PA version. Android and iOS apps are available in New Jersey, but PA iOS users might have to wait a while to have one.
Borgata Online Casino
Borgata was one of the first self-owned online casinos to launch in New Jersey after its legalization in 2013. New players are eligible for a $20 no deposit bonus provided they use a bonus code (you can usePLAYNJ). There is also a 100% deposit match bonus up to $600 afterward. Borgata has given a lot to impress new users. GVC is their primary software provider with over 100 online slots for players to choose from. Thawte Security provides encryption and ensures that your details are kept safe and private. There is a mobile app available on Android and iOS and a dedicated loyalty program for new users. They also have a decent range of deposit and withdrawal options. The minimum age requirement for playing at Borgata is 21 years.
Betfair Online Casino
The Betfair online casino is the online version of the well known Betfair casino in Atlantic City, in conjunction with Golden Nuggets casino. There are over 300 games available, most offered by IGT – their top gaming partner. Betfair offers a unique welcome offer to new users. The online casino offers new players a risk-free day when they sign up. Within 24 hours following your first deposit, the Casino will give a full refund of up to $200 on any loss incurred. Betfair Loyalty Club is the casino’s loyalty program, across five tiers, from VIP Iron to VIP Platinum. Mobile apps are available on Android and iOS, and gamers can play live dealer games between 10 AM to 4 PM every day.
Golden Nugget Online Casino
Golden Nugget is arguably the most prominent online casino provider in New Jersey. The land-based Golden Nugget Casino in Atlantic City also operates the online version, and since its launch in late 2014, it has grown massively. There are more than 600 casino games, including live dealer casino games on show. Progressive jackpot games are also available. New users receive a three-in-one welcome bonus when they sign up with a bonus code, e.g., There is a $10 no deposit bonus followed by a 100% first deposit match bonus up to $1500 plus 200 free spins. Customer service options include Helpline, Email, and Live chat. A mobile app is available on Android and iOS, and players must be at least 21 years old.
Hard Rock Online Casino
The casino currently operates in New Jersey and is a relatively new platform. New users receive 50 free spins once they register their account and get a 100% match bonus on their first deposit up to $1,000. There is no promo code required. The casino has a decent selection of games covering slots, video poker, and table games and has mobile apps available for Android and iOS.
Harrah’s Online Casino
Harrah’s online casino launched as far back as 2013, when online operations became legal in the state. It operates under Caesars Casino in NJ and also offers the same loyalty program – Caesars Rewards program. New users receive a $10 no deposit bonus when they sign up and earn a 100% first deposit match bonus up to $300. There are less than 50 games available and several deposit and withdrawal options, including PayPal.
MGM Online Casino
This is another online provider with her tails spread across several states, including New Jersey and West Virginia, and began as a joint startup by MGM Resorts International and GVC Holdings. The brand itself is quite popular and boasts an extensive selection of games. New players are eligible for a 100% deposit match up to $1000 alongside a $25 no deposit bonus.
Ocean Resort Online Casino
Ocean Resort is still some way off the top casino providers in the US. The casino already operates in Atlantic city, making it easy to launch their online site. However, they have to significantly increase their game and banking options to become a force to reckon with.
PartyPoker Online Casino
PartyPoker is an online gambling site that mainly features online poker. It is currently legal in New Jersey and Pennsylvania but is yet to launch in PA. New users receive a $25 no deposit bonus and a 100% first deposit bonus up to $1000.
Mobile Apps For Online Casinos In The US
Virtually all the online casino sites have a mobile app; most have on both Android and iOS. iOS users can download most apps via the Apple Store, but due to Google’s restriction on gambling apps, Android users have to download theirs via the respective websites
Deposit And Withdrawal Methods For Online Casino Sites In The US
Banking methods are aplenty at most casinos. The most common, however, are:
- Credit Cards (Mastercard and Visa)
- Bank Transfer
Deposit times are usually instant, but withdrawal times may vary depending on the casino and banking method. Limits also differ from one casino to the other.
The Use and Safety of Personal Information
All online platforms have privacy agreements. Try to glance through and have an idea of the contents to be sure your personal information stays that way. Any reputable casino site also operates with encryption software to keep your details safe and secure.
What Online Casino Games Are Available In USA
The online platforms mentioned above provide a range of games that include Slots, Table Games, Poker, and Live dealer games.
- Online Slots: These games are the most at any online sites, and by a significant margin. Popular titles such as Desert Treasure feature at almost all casinos
- Table games: Roulette, Blackjack, and Baccarat are the types of table games at most casinos, and these come in different varieties.
- Poker: Gamblers who love strategy games but can’t play at live tables can take advantage of this option at online casinos.
- Live casino games: For players who want to play the experience of playing at real-life casinos but prefer to do so from the comfort of their house, live dealer games are great. There are live dealer games on pretty much all of the table games.
We have covered the significant aspects of online casino gambling in the United States. Provided you confirm that your provider operates legally and suits your needs, there are too many options not to find one that fits your preferences and your pocket.
Can I play online casino games in the US?
- Yes, you can
What is the best online casino in the US?
- Several factors determine what is best for one from another
How old should I be to have the right to gamble?
- 21 years is the minimum in most US states
How do slot free spins work?
- Free spins allow gamblers to roll at slots, for example, without paying and keep their winnings.
Are there taxes on winnings in the US?
- Yes, you pay tax on your winnings as decided by your state.
Can I play poker online?
- Yes, you can.