Iowa Online Sports Betting: Comprehensive Guide
Iowa has recently joined the states that have legalized professional and college sports wager. But, this is not a surprise given that it’s a state with numerous brick and mortar racinos and casinos, to begin with. Also, Iowa is known to be a solid gambling community. The legalization of sports online wagering in the state also includes mobile gambling which means that IA sports betting online is also now allowed.
Out of 19 casinos around the states, 18 of them currently offer legal sports betting online on different websites. Also, there are several stipulations and information that you should know about the newly legalized online casino games which you will learn as you continue to read this article. Shall we begin?
Where and How to Bet on Sports in Iowa Online?
In August 2019, online sports gambling in Iowa was launched. Now the big question for many is where and how to gamble on sport in Iowa online. Here’s are the Iowa sports betting rules for setting up an account:
In order to place a bet on mobile sports betting in Iowa, you must first personally go to the casino affiliated with the app that you plan on using. Upon visiting the casino, you must present proof of your age and identity. Personal appearance is required for the registration of an account as of 2022 mostly for age verification processes. Once the account has been made, the customer is now allowed to place a stake anywhere they are in Iowa using internet-enabled devices. If you think that going to casinos personally to register an account is hard, just be patient. In January 2021, this requirement will be abolished and Iowa residents will be allowed to register for an account solely online.
Banking Options for IA Sports Betting Online
For account funding, credit cards are not recognized as a funding mechanism for Iowa sports wagering. But, you will be allowed to link your gambling account with your bank account upon registration to load it with funds. Also, there is no existing regulation from the state that limits the money individuals can keep on their gambling accounts, but they did task the sports betting apps and casinos to create tools that will enable individuals to place a limit on their spending.
Process of Online Gambling
Now for the fun part. You can place your stake online through real money betting sites and apps partnered with land-based casinos where you had your account registered. If you are lucky and you win, your winning will be credited to your Iowa online gambling accounts. There’s a catch, customers can only make wagers using their account within the vicinity of the state. All apps are required to have geolocation software to track the physical location of the bettor to make sure that they are gambling within the state since doing so in other states is against the law. Once your location is detected to be outside the borders of Iowa, you will be unable to place a wager.
Consideration when Choosing an Online Betting Site
Not all online gambling experience is made equal so it is important to identify which one is worth using. Here are some considerations that can help you in making that decision:
It is important to choose a company that enables several payment options and banking methods. The most typical funding methods for gambling accounts are through credit cards. There are also plenty of sports wagering websites that only accept a single type of credit card which can be a hassle. Also, you should also take into consideration the deposits and withdrawal charges of the sports gambling website. The fees of each website vary from one another, so it is always a good idea to go for the one that has cheaper charges.
Online gambling is mostly safe, but it is important to take extra precautions. You can do this by checking the website’s security features. They must have an explicit policy against cheating and a mechanism to check whether all bettors are playing fairly. The website must also have a strict policy on private information. It is also a good idea to go for a website with strong data privacy protection since your account will contain funds that can be very tempting for hackers to target.
Promotions and Bonuses
One of the most common ways that gambling websites attract customers is by offering rewards and welcome bonuses. But, it is important to only go for websites that offer realistic promotions. If they offer a 100 to 200% bonus, take it as a red flag and consider using another website instead. Reputable online sports wagering sites or even legal online poker sites do not do this.
Reputation and Legalization
Choosing a well-established and accredited sports betting website is important. Since you need an in-person appearance in the state of Iowa to create an account, it is easy to determine whether the website is legitimate or not since they have to be affiliated or partnered with the casino itself.
If you gamble frequently or make big wagers on a website a consecutive number of times, the chances of being invited into a loyalty program are higher. Each website has its own particular way of calculating who will qualify for their program. They also offer varied rewards. In choosing which website has the best loyalty program, you can compare them by looking at how you can qualify, the retention stipulation, and the reward that you will get from it.
From time to time, you may experience technical difficulties or you simply have inquiries that you want to address about the online gambling site, so it is important to pick a site that has easy-to-reach customer service. Their customer service must also have several points of communication, and they should also be responsive.
Choice of Games
There are different games you can play on a gambling site for utmost enjoyment. If you want an online experience closely similar to a casino, you can opt for a website that offers card games. But, if you prefer sports-related gambling, there are specialized sports betting websites that you can consider.
It is a good idea to pick a betting site that has its own app. This will allow you to fully enjoy the betting experience even on your phone.
The betting site software is responsible for giving you a good quality of experience. You can check out whether a website’s software is good or not by checking its review and how previous customers like their overall experience.
How To Start Betting In Iowa
The process to start wagering in Iowa is simple, and we are explaining the process here. Make sure to follow the step-by-step process as that will help you to play. Here we go:
- Download The App: The most crucial step is deciding on the best IA online sports betting site you would like to use. Check the welcome bonuses and see which offers the best bonuses and maximum payouts. Accordingly, you can pick one and go ahead. One more thing is to look for the device you have, whether it is iOS or Android. For IOS, players must proceed to the Apple Play Store, and for Android, it is the Google Play Store.
- Complete The Registration process: You have to complete the registration process by entering all the details as asked. Every data should be correct, or else the account won’t get verified.
- Add Funds To Your Account: Once the process gets over, you can add funds to your account to start betting. Check the bets available, the ongoing sports events, and some other crucial aspects before gambling.
Best Iowa Sports Betting Apps
Here are some of the top-rated Iowa online sports betting sites that you should check out:
DraftKings Sportsbook – one of the best IA sportsbooks
You can register for a DraftKings Sportsbook betting account by visiting the three locations of the Wild Rose Casinos for age and identity verification. What makes this website great is that it offers flexible banking methods including PayPal, debit cards, and credit cards which is rare in sports betting websites. Also, DraftKings will match 20% of your initial deposit as a welcome bonus, so if you will deposit $100 dollar on your account, you will receive $20 dollars from DraftKings. This is applicable for initial deposits with a minimum of $5 and the bonus shall not exceed $500.
PointsBet Sportsbook is an Australian company that entered the US market at the beginning of 2019. It was launched in Iowa in November of the previous year, and you have to visit the Catfish Bend Casino to create an account for this website. PointsBets Sportsbook offers several promotions, especially for new players. One of the promos that they offer is a sign-up bonus worth up to $250. You can get it if you deposit $50 and bet with $150. The more you deposit, the more bonus you will get.
Hard Rock Sioux City Sportsbook
The Hard Rock Sioux City Sportsbook is a mobile app operated by Gaming Innovation Group. This platform offers bettors with $100 risk-free bet as a welcome bonus. They also have the Rock Star Rewards system which customers can use to redeem products at the Rock Shop, restaurants, and bars.
Q Casino Sportsbook
The Q Casino sportsbook is a licensed platform by the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission. It is one of the websites that have a quick-to-download and easy-to-use app. They also provide several payment options for easy deposits. Although it is common for websites to offer welcome bonuses for a particular amount of deposits or new players, Q Casino does not have any offerings as of the moment.
Elite Casinos Sportsbook
The registration for the Elite Casinos Sportsbook can be done in Grand Falls Casino, Rhythm City Casino, and Riverside Casino & Golf Resorts. It is legal and licensed in Iowa, and it offers support for pregame and in-game wagering. You will get a 50% match-up from the Elite Sportsbook on your first deposit. The sports betting site is powered by the Bet.Works tech. It is the second brand that started operating in Iowa two weeks after William Hill. Gamblers interested in placing bets through this sportsbook must join the Resort Club before signing up here. It has partnered with three land-based casinos, Rhythm City, Grand Flass, and Riverside Casino and Golf Resort.
William Hill Sportsbook
To register for an account for the William Hill Sportsbook, bettors must visit either of the following Isle Casino Bettendorf, Isle Casino Waterloo, Lakeside Casino, and Prairie Meadows Racetrack & Casino. William Hill Sportsbook is a trusted name in the sports betting industry. They offer a quick payout. They also have excellent customer service that can be contacted through live chat, email, or phone calls. This Sportsbook offers several promotions and bonuses. For new players, you will get $10 upon registration and up to $150 worth of bonuses on your first deposit.
The FanDuel Sportsbook account can be confirmed and verified at the Diamond Jo Casinos. They are one of the best sport betting platforms in the United States because of their generous sign-up bonus that can be as much as a $500 risk-free bet. Aside from that, this platform is easy to navigate which helps improve the quality of experience of a bettor. They also have accessible and responsive customer care associates.
BetFred sports betting site is an England-based operator and is considered one of the world’s leading brands. The unusual yet interesting name of BetFred was taken from its founder, “Fred Done.” The company started in Great Britain and grew into one of the top sportsbooks brands, now operating in Iowa. They have entered into the sports betting market in Iowa via a partnership with “Grand Falls Casino & Golf Resort” located in Larchwood. At the Grand Falls Casino Resort, it has a branded retail casino sportsbook. This sportsbook has been operating in different other states like Nevada, Colorado, and Pennsylvania.
BetRivers is a sports betting site operated and owned by Rush Street Interactive. It works in several states in the US, including Indiana, Pennsylvania, Colorado, and now in Iowa. BetRivers has partnered with Wild Rose Casino to operate in this state. It gives the best loyalty programs compared to all other sportsbooks in the US market. The welcome bonus is a match deposit bonus up to $250 with a lower wagering requirement. The site offers an iRush reward program, and that is a ten-tier system giving more perks to bettors.
This online sports betting giant entered the market in January 2021. It is registered under Diamond Jo Dubuque’s license, and the app is available for all players now. It is the online site of MGM Resorts International that has been operating in many states. On registration, players get a risk-free bet of up to $600 on the first one. The minimum deposit one needs to provide to start betting is $10, which is lower than other brands. The app is integrated with the rewards program from MGM. Additionally, it offers an array of wagers in rugby, cricket, and football leagues.
Sportsbook websites can obtain operator licenses to conduct betting through their partnered casino who have licenses to operate from the state of Iowa. These casinos will need to pay a license fee of $45,000 with a renewal fee of $10,000 to be paid yearly. They are also required to abide by the 6.75% tax on the revenues once bets are settled. The licensing for the sportsbook website operation is licensed and regulated by the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission and several state officers. But, “integrity fees” which are typically paid to professional sports leagues are not stipulated in the last version of the Senate file 617 of Iowa sports betting regulations.
Iowa Sports Betting Sites Coming Soon
- Unibet Sportsbook: The Kindred Group, in February 2020 has signed a deal with Caesars Entertainment to launch the Unibet sportsbook in Indiana and Iowa. The earlier reports claimed that the brand would partner with two Harrah’s properties, and both are operated and owned by Caesars Entertainment. But things did not happen the way they should have as both of them have partnered with William Hill. That’s why it is difficult to specify the exact date when the brand will start in the state.
- Vigtory Sportsbook: The brand is headquartered in Chicago and had plans to enter the Iowa market. In November 2020, the “Iowa Racing & Gaming Commission (IRGC)” approved a deal between The Casino Queen Marquette and the operator. Still, two parties are processing, and things are a bit unclear. However, it was launched in NJ a few months back. So, players from Iowa can hear some good news regarding the same.
Online Sportsbook Apps In Iowa
While using the apps, gamblers need to download them from any of the two mediums. They are Apple or Google Play Store. Considering that, they can proceed to the respective store and get the app.
- iOS (App Store): This is specifically for players using any kind of Apple device. They can proceed to the Apple Play Store, type the sportsbook’s name that players have, and download it. They might have to wait for some time to get the app installed, and then are ready to go ahead.
- Android (Google Play): Gamblers using an Android device can use Google Play to download the app. After opening the Play Store, they have to type the site’s name that they are thinking of using to play and get the application. The downloading and installation will take a few minutes, following which they can bet through Iowa sports betting apps.
Promotions & Bonuses Offered At Iowa Sports Betting Sites
- First-Time Deposit Offer: The first-time deposit offer is a welcome bonus that most betting sites offer as a gift to players. For this transaction, players have to make a deposit, and based on that, the amount is given to them. For example, DraftKings Sportsbook offers a 20% match deposit bonus of up to $500.
- Risk-Free Bet: Here, bettors can place their first best for free. It means the winnings that they get after playing are credited to their account. But what about players who do not win? They will get the exact amount credited to their account after losing.
- Free Bet: These types of bets are often given to players from time to time, which they can place and win rewards. But they have to fulfill the wagering requirements to claim the rewards without fail.
- Parlay Insurance: Some sportsbooks are there that want players to earn some money from their losses. In this instance, they offer parlay insurance which means if they lose the bet after placing, a partial amount will be credited to their account.
- Loyalty Programs: This particular section is available on IA online sports betting sites through which gamblers can earn more rewards. In this program, when players play, they make more points which can be redeemed for cash afterwards.
What Types of Bets Does Best Iowa Sportsbook Can Offer?
If you are a beginner in the gambling world, it is important to be aware of the different types of sports bet there is. Here are some of the sports bets offering of Iowa that you should know about:
- Parlay bets: Parlay bets are characterized by grouping more than two bets in one pick. It is two different picks or multiple ones until the set limit of the sportsbook. The odds for this type of betting modified correspondingly to the total of picks you have grouped together.
- Spread bets: Spread betting is a fundamental strategy where the participants are not in possession of the underlying asset which they bet on. Instead, those who spread bets speculate whether there will be a rise or fall in the asset price by using the prices proposed to them by the buyers.
- Future bets: As its name suggests, future bets are wagers made prior to an event taking place. These types of bets are commonly used when predicting who will win in a championship or a series like the World Series or the Super Bowl. Future bets are typically made during the start of a season.
- Total bets: Total betting is a single bet on whether the runs, points, and goals total of a specific game is under or over the prediction of the bettor at the beginning of the game. When using total betting, the bettor must combine the total score of each team after the game finishes to know whether they win or lose.
- Teaser bets: Teaser bets are similar to parlay bets except they have a little twist in them. They are similar in a sense when you still need to pick two or more groupings in one be but the difference is that you can adjust the stake spread to be in your favor in exchange for a smaller payout. If you want a bet with lesser risk, this one is a good choice. It also means that you will not be getting as much money compared to higher-risk bets like parlay bets.
- Round Robin Bets: This bet is characterized by making multi-team bets from 3 to 10 teams. These teams will then be utilized to form as many possible two-team parlay combinations. The money that you will be betting will also be the amount on the bet for your two-team parlay.
Live Betting Options At Sportsbooks
Live Betting is one option where bets are placed when the event is going on or is live. Through IA online sportsbooks, players can place wagers in real-time and see whether they win or lose. These bets are known as in-game wagers, where the lines and odds will move fast. The offerings will vary depending on the situations that are taking place.
Sign Up Procedure To Follow For Online Sportsbooks
Without registering on the online sportsbook, players won’t be able to gamble for real money. Here is the process for signup that everyone must follow, and after that, they can start playing.
- Firstly, proceed to the desktop site or mobile app and click on the button that says “create an account.” Some online sportsbooks might name this section “register.” After clicking here, enter a phone number, email address, name, home address, a valid identity card, age proof, etc. Besides that, enter the last four digits of your Social Security Number asked by the site. After all these steps, you have to create a username and password using which players can sign in.
- After that, they have to wait for some time for the account to get verified. Once it is done, they can add funds to claim the signup bonus and start playing. Make sure to check the banking details, the minimum deposit, and the terms and conditions of the bonus before using it.
IA Sports Betting Locations At Casinos
- One Prairie Meadows Drive,
- Altoona, IA 50009
- Telephone: 1-800-325-9015
- Monday to Thursday: 10 am to midnight
- Saturday 8 am to 1 am
- Friday 10 am to 1 am
- Sunday 8 am to midnight
- 2200 River Road, Council Bluffs,
- IA 51501
- Telephone: 712-328-8888
- Daily 12 pm to 8 pm
Diamond Jo Worth
- 777 Diamond Jo Lane, Northwood,
- IA 50459
- Telephone: 641-323-7777
- Daily 1 pm to 9 pm
Isle Casino Hotel Waterloo
- 777 Isle of Capri Blvd, Waterloo,
- IA 50701
- Telephone: 1-800-THE-ISLE
- From Monday to Friday, it is 10 am to 12 pm
- Sunday 8 a.m. to 12 pm
- Saturday 8 am to 1 am
Horseshoe Casino Council Bluffs
- 2701 23rd Avenue, Council Bluffs,
- IA 51501
- Telephone: 1-877-771-SHOE
- Monday to Friday opens 11 am
- Sunday and Saturday open 9 am
Riverside Casino and Golf Resort
- 3184 Highway 22, Riverside,
- IA 52327
- Telephone: 319-648-1234
- Monday to Thursday, the time 11 am to 10 pm
- Saturday and Friday 10 am to 11 pm
- Sunday 10 am to 9 pm
Grand Falls Casino Resort
- 1415 Grand Falls Blvd.,
- Larchwood, IA 51241
- Telephone: 712-777-7777
- Sunday to Thursday noon to 8 pm
- Saturday and Friday noon to 9 pm
Rhythm City Casino
- 7077 Elmore Avenue,
- Davenport, IA 52807
- Telephone: 563-328-8000
- Monday to Thursday at 1 pm
- Friday at 11 am
- Sunday and Saturday at 9 am
Diamond Jo – Dubuque
- 301 Bell Street,
- Dubuque, IA 52001
- Telephone: 1-800-582-5956
- Monday 11 am to 11 pm
- Wednesday and Tuesday noon to 10 pm
- Thursday 11 am to 10 pm
- Friday noon to 10 pm
- Sunday and Saturday 10 am to 11 pm
- Self-serving betting terminals are active 24/7
Isle Casino Bettendorf
- 1800 Isle Parkway
- Bettendorf, IA 52722
- Telephone: 1-800-724-5825
- Monday to Thursday 10 am to 11 pm
- Friday 10 am to 12 pm
- Saturday 8 am to 12 pm
- Sunday 8 am to 11 pm
Harrah’s Council Bluffs
- 1 Harrah’s Boulevard,
- Council Bluffs, IA 51501
- Telephone: 1-800-427-7247
- From Monday to Thursday, it is 11 am to 7 pm
- On Friday 11 am to 11 pm
- Saturday 9 am to 11 pm
- Sunday 9 am to 10 pm
Hard Rock Casino
- 111 3rd St., Sioux City
- IA 51101
- Telephone: 712-224-7625
- Monday to Friday noon to 10 pm
- Sunday and Saturday 9 am to 10 pm
- 777 Casino Drive,
- Osceola, IA 50213
- Telephone: 877-477-5253
- Monday to Thursday 10 am to 11 pm
- Friday 10 am to midnight
- Saturday 8 am to midnight
- Sunday 9 am to 11 pm
- 1855 Greyhound Park Rd,
- Dubuque, IA 52001
- Telephone: 1-800-373-3647
- Monday and Tuesday Closed
- Wednesday to Sunday noon to 10 pm
- Sports betting kiosks available round the clock.
Catfish Bend Casino
- 3001 Winegard Dr.
- Burlington, IA 52601
- Telephone: 1-866-792-9948
- Monday 11 am to midnight
- Tuesday to Thursday 3 pm to 12 pm
- Friday 11 am to 1 am
- Saturday 9 am to 1 am
- Sunday 9 am to 12 am
Wild Rose – Clinton
- 777 Wild Rose Drive,
- Clinton, IA 52732
- Telephone: 1-800-457-9975
- Monday to Wednesday Closed
- Thursday 10:30 am to 10 pm
- Saturday and Friday 10:30 am to 10 pm
- Sunday 10:30 am to 6 pm
Wild Rose – Emmetsburg
- 777 Main St.,
- Emmetsburg, IA 50536
- Telephone: 712-852-3400
- Monday 11 am to 11 pm
- Wednesday and Tuesday 2 pm to 10 pm
- Friday and Thursday 11 am to 11 pm
- Sunday and Saturday 9 am to 11 pm
Wild Rose – Jefferson
- 777 Wild Rose Drive, Jefferson,
- IA 50129
- Telephone: 515-386-7777
- From Monday to Thursday, the timing is 11 am to 10 pm
- Friday 11 am to 11 pm
- Saturday 9 am to 11 pm
- Sunday 9 am to 10 pm
Casino Queen Marquette
- 100 Anti-Monopoly Street,
- Marquette, IA 52158
- Telephone: 1-800-496-8238
- Sportsbook Hours: Not Known
How To Compete With Offshore Sites?
In order to compete with offshore sites, the online sportsbooks operating in the state must offer a wide variety of bonuses and promotions. They must have a vast number of bets on different sports events. It will encourage players to sign up and register on legal online sites and not the offshore ones. They must offer exclusive loyalty programs and other things to motivate bettors to play here.
Iowa Sports Betting VS Other States
Officially, sports betting was launched in the state of Iowa on 15th of May 2019. The sports betting bill SF 617 was signed by Governor Kim Reynolds to turn it into law. Under this law, 19 casinos have applied for a sports betting license, and the most exciting part of the bill is that it allows mobile and online sports betting. But a critical clause present in this bill states that players interested in placing wagers have to complete in-person registration by visiting the casinos.
However, the good news is that the operators decided to remove this factor on the 1st of January 2021, but a few things are still to be taken care of. That’s why it is still there, and the final decision is yet to come in August.
Compared To New Jersey And Pennsylvania
Compared to these two states, Iowa might not have shown much growth, but it is expected to grow soon. Additionally, when the population is considered, it is around 3 million in Iowa compared to 8 million and 12 million in NJ and Pennsylvania. However, keeping all these things in mind, gambling activities in the state are expected to grow slowly.
Most Popular Sports Events To Bet On
Several sports events are there where players can place bets through online sports betting sites in Iowa. They are:
- Iowa NFL Betting: Football is a popular game in the state, and players always like to bet on their favorite team. The most famous National Football teams are the Minnesota Vikings, mainly for citizens residing in the Northern parts. Towards the west, fans cheer for the Chicago Bears and the Green Bay Packers. At the time when the Super Bowl starts, players get many opportunities to place wagers and win. Kansas City Chiefs are one of the teams closer to the Missouri border. According to stats, the favorite teams for Iowa bettors are Chicago Bears, Kansas City Chiefs, Minnesota Vikings, and Green Bay Packers.
- Iowa NCAA Betting: In 2019, a decision was taken by the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission, and it is to bring sports betting before the start of college football season in the same year. It’s because college football is considered to be the king of sports in the state. Even though there are no major professional sports teams, the Iowa State Cyclones and the University of Iowa Hawkeyes have always been top choices for players. However, in-play bets are not permitted in in-state college states, which players must keep in mind.
- Iowa NBA Betting: The state once had a team in one of the four major professional sports leagues. It is from the National Basketball Association, and the team is the Waterloo Hawks. They played for the first time in the 1949-1950 season. This sports event might have lesser betting options compared to baseball or football. The favorite teams in the state include Chicago Bulls, Milwaukee Bucks, and Minnesota Timberwolves.
- Iowa MLB Betting: Baseball has a special place in people’s hearts, and Ray Kinsella can say more about it. SeatGeek has come up with a map in 2019 showing the details of the most popular teams in the country. The Kansas City Royals, The Chicago Cubs, St. Louis Cardinals, and the Minnesota Twins are some of the names. Plenty of options are available on the top IA sportsbook on which players can place bets.
- Iowa NHL Betting: Many bettors think that Iowa is not an ideal place for ice hockey. But the fact is the NHL has gained popularity over the years, and now bettors get more opportunities to gamble. In 2013, the Minnesota Wild moved the Iowa Wild, its minor league, to Des Moines. It is done to build a strong relationship with the state. The Chicago Blackhawks have won three Stanley Cups since 2010, and many Iowans love them.
Iowa Teams To Wager On
College Sports Teams
- Iowa Hawkeyes: The University of Iowas has the best D1 athletic program in Iowa and is one of the best teams in the US. In the NCAA tournament, the Hawkeyes have appeared 26 times in basketball, and in 1980, they made it to the Final Four. In Football, they rank in the AP Top 25 consistently.
- Drake Bulldogs: Drake Bulldogs is a basketball team that has made it to the NCAA tournament four times, and the last one was in 2008. They are a strong member of the Missouri Valley Conference and can give players some exciting wagering options.
- Northern Iowa Panthers: For the most popular college teams, two names that have always been in the picture are the Cyclones and the Hawkeyes. But a basketball program trying to make its name at the national level is the Northern Iowa Panthers. Since 2000, seven of eight March Madness appearances made by them have made it to Sweet 16 in 2010.
College Football Betting in Iowa
- Iowa Hawkeyes Football: They are the most followed in-state team and offer the most popular athletic program. Hawkeyes Football has claimed 13 conference titles and five National Championships. They have not qualified twice since the “2001 Alamo Bowl.” However, the 2021 event got canceled due to the pandemic. Kirk Ferentz is their coach who has an all-time winning percentage of 0.613.
- Iowa State Cyclones Football: It is the only other FBS program in Iowa where the Cyclones have not found so much success. They had two conference titles, one in 1991 and another in 1912, before moving to the Big 12. They had made 16 bowl games, and in 2004, the Cyclones won a division title as well. Presently, Matt Campbell is the coach of the team who has been associated with them since 2016.
Iowa College Basketball Betting
- Hawkeyes Men’s Basketball: Even though they were not as successful as the football program, the team has 27 NCAA Tournament appearances and eight Big ten regular-season championships. Only once the team had made it to the championships. Since 2000, they have made eight postseason appearances but did not make it to the Round of 32.
- Iowa State Men’s Basketball: It has experienced a fair share of success even after not winning a National Championship. The Cyclones made five Sweet Sixteen appearances and played 20 NCAA Tournaments. The best postseason was in the 1944 Final Four run. They won six conference tournaments and “six regular-season Big 12 championships.”
Horse Betting In Iowa
Prairie Meadows is the state’s lone live horse racing venue. It started functioning in 1999 and is located in Altoona, Iowa. It offers quarter, thoroughbred, and mixed meets four days a week. The season starts from May to September, and along with horse betting, Prairie Meadows is known for offering simulcasting and onsite betting. Gamblers can place their wagers and view races in real-time. The citizens in the state can use online betting sites like TVG, TwinSpires, and BetAmerica.
Sports Betting Law Iowa
Players within the borders of Iowa can place wagers on college games, all pro sports, and international sporting events. The only aspect that everyone has to maintain is the age requirement. They have to be at least 21 years old and be inside the state lines. They must not be on the self-exclusion list. Also, it is not compulsory to be a permanent resident. Some restrictions for wagering are:
- Bets can be placed on sports and not on the Oscars and elections
- Personnel (like coaches, officials, etc.) involved in the sports leagues cannot be on by events
- On in-state college teams, in-game prop bets are not allowed.
- No wagers on eSports
Many illegal websites are operating in the state, but players must never register there. It is better to verify the licensing details of IA online betting sites and wager on events. The illegal sites are known for disappearing with people’s money and that’s why everyone needs to be careful before signing up on the site.
Sports Betting Revenue Iowa
Till the end of 2020, the sports betting wagers and revenue were low compared to other states. It may be because of the in-person registration that many players considered as a barrier. However, it has slowly started to increase as per the stats received in June 2021. Previously, it had dipped by 3% month-on-month to $111.2 million. But a positive response has been experienced recently where the revenue climbed to 3.4 million to 38%.
In the state, the brand that continued to lead is William Hill, with $32.6 million in wagers in June. After that, it is followed by DraftKings and BetRivers, which received around $31.3 million via their shared casino license with Wild Rose. Then comes FanDuel with $15.2 million and BetMGM with $11.4 million.
Iowa Sports Betting Timeline And History
2019: On the 13th of May, Governor Kim Reynolds signed the law to sanction sports betting. The “chairs of the Ways and Means committees” were Ren. Robby Smith and Sen. Bobby Kaufmann and they led the bill. SF 617 received 16 hearings in the two chambers. After that, it was passed with bipartisan support along with a certain number of specifications. They are:
- $45000 as a license fee
- 6.75% tax rate on the revenue
- Players can register on mobile apps from the 1st of January 2021
- A maximum of two different sportsbook apps can function under one license.
- They are regulated by the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission.
- The operators do not consider prop bets on the in-state teams.
The Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission moved ahead to qualify the emergency rules so sportsbook operators can launch licensed and authorized sites before starting the NFL and college football seasons.
The Latest News on Iowa Sports Betting Online Industry
The financial reports from the Racing & Gaming Commission saw that Iowa online gambling was around $368 million in the fiscal year of 2020 on the outcome of collegiate, professional, and high school sports. $223.6 million of this wagering was done online due to the threats from the Coronavirus pandemic. These figures are relatively lower compared to the previous year, but the RGC stated that the sports betting industry of Iowa could have been worse if there was no online betting since establishments are forced to close to prevent the spread of the virus. Worry not, there is hope for recovery for Iowa sports betting revenue seen in the increase of revenue as casinos and sports activities resume again.
- Is sports betting legal in Iowa?
- Yes. As of 2019, Iowa became the 11th United States state who have legalized sports wagering to citizens 21 years old and above.
- Do I have to register to my account in person to bet online in Iowa?
- Yes, you have to register for an account in person to bet online in Iowa as it is required by the state's law. The similar law also applies to Rhode Island and Nevada.
- Can I play casino games in Iowa?
- Yes, you can play casino games in Iowa as long as you are 21 years old and above.
- Is horse racing legal in Iowa?
- Yes, live horse racing in Iowa is legal.
- What casinos in Iowa will have sports betting?
- Here are some of the casinos that has online sports betting: Catfish Bend, Riverside, Rhythm City, Isle Bettendorf, Isle Waterloo, Lakeside, Prairie Meadows
- What are the Iowa sports betting tax rates?
- The sports betting tax rate of Iowa is one of the lowest rates within the United States at only 6.75%.
- What companies will enter the online sports betting market in Iowa?
- Here are some of the players entering the online sports betting market of Iowa that enable you play for real money: Q Sportsbook, Elite Sportsbook, Hard Rock, William Hill, PointsBet Iowa, DraftKings Sportsbook
- Who can bet on sports in Iowa?
- Individuals who have attained the age of 21 years can legally bet on all sports.
- Can I bet on DraftKings Sportsbook?
- Yes, it is operating legally in the state. So anyone can bet on DraftKings.
- Is horse betting legal in Iowa?
- Yes, horse betting is legal in Iowa, and anyone who attains the age requirements can go ahead with wagering.
- Who oversees Iowa sports betting?
- The Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission oversees sports betting in the state.
- Can I wager on sports on my phone in Iowa?
- Yes, betting on sports via phone in Iowa is possible after downloading the app.
- Are offshore sportsbooks legal?
- All offshore sportsbooks operating in the state are not legal. Since they are not legal, they are violating Federal and State laws. Thus, players must not register on these sites to gamble.
- How do I get started?
- First, you have to look for a licensed and registered online sports betting site to get started with betting. After that, you can complete the registration process to begin betting.
- Is Daily Fantasy Sports betting allowed in Iowa?
- Yes, DFS has been legalized in Iowa so that players can gamble through a licensed site.
- Is eSports betting allowed in the state?
- No, esports betting is not allowed in the state of Iowa.
- How much revenue does Iowa sports betting generate?
- The sportsbooks in Iowa are holding around 7% of sports wagers. Revenue is limited for people registering on the Iowa sports betting accounts in person.