North Carolina Online Sports Betting Market
North Carolina has two land tribal casinos: Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort and Harrah’s Cherokee Valley River Casino. The House of Representatives of the State passed a law, which allows you to make bets on horse racing and sports in these two casinos. Only offline sports bets are legalized all around the state. Online betting is limited by daily fantasy sports and online lottery. Read more about online sports betting in North Carolina in this article.
Best North Carolina Online Sports Betting Sites & Apps
History of Online Sports Betting in North Carolina
The first laws which were passed regarding gambling in North Carolina date back to the 1700s. All forms of gambling were banned in 1791. The first steps to legalization were made in 1945. The laws that allowed state lotteries and bingo games were passed that year.
Harrah’s Cherokee Casino began offering table games in August 2012, and the casino was founded in November 1997. Harrah’s Cherokee Valley River Casino started operating in September 2015. In 2018, North Carolina began the process of legalizing gambling. Sports betting in tribal casinos was allowed in North Carolina on July 30, 2019. This was facilitated by the passage of the bill № 154 on July 16, 2019. This decision made North Carolina the 17th US state which legalizes casino and enters the US sports betting market.
North Carolina legalized sports betting at Harrah’s Cherokee Valley River Casino, with another casino that’s yet to be built. It is the Catawba Indian Nation. Before that, no sports wagering was legal in NC in any form, and only one casino was there. On the 22nd of March 2021, North Carolina’s first sportsbook was opened, Harrah’s Cherokee Valley River Casino. In a UNC vs Wisconsin NCAA Basketball game, the first wager was placed.
On the 7th of April 2021, SB 688 was passed to legalize sports betting in this state. It proposed to create a limited number of licenses without needing to partner with existing casinos. On the 1st of July 2021, the Catawba Two Kings Casino Resort was opened to the public. They have a license to open the second physical sportsbook.
North Carolina Sports Betting – How It Works?
Offline bets on sports and horse racing are allowed throughout North Carolina. The new law does not contain any restrictions on the events on which bets can be placed. Players are free to bet on the outcome of student sports, which is prohibited in many other American states.
North Carolina has no laws that prohibit the gambler from betting on sports at local tribal casinos. This is a type of American casino, which is located on Indian reservations in the United States. They have their own independent legislation and fiscal incentives.
The two tribal casinos are named Harrah’s Cherokee Resort and Harrah’s Cherokee Valley River. They can be found in Cherokee and Murphy districts, away from crowded urban areas. Harrah’s Cherokee is located west of Asheville, near Maggie Valley, and Harrah’s River is situated in Murphy. Online betting is limited to daily fantasy sports and online lotteries. FanDuel and DraftKings are the most popular fantasy sports objects used in North Carolina. Also, it is currently prohibited to play online poker. North Carolina casinos have earned $393 million in revenue during the past year. You can create your own gambling account when you are 18, but you can start betting only if you are 21 years old.
Choosing the Best NC Betting Sites
Seeing the positive response from the lawmakers, online betting can be expected to be legalized in North Carolina in 2021. After that, a large number of online betting platforms will appear. It is important to learn how to choose safe sites. In order to select a quality online platform, each player should carefully consider the following characteristics.
People are afraid to place bets on the Internet because of scammers. There are different methods of withdrawing money: direct transfer, e-wallets, mobile wallets, Internet banking, debit cards, credit cards, etc. A reliable website offers all these methods of getting money out. The most credible options are PayPal and Internet banking. The efficiency of deposits and withdrawals is an important factor. Pay attention if the site allows you to withdraw money when you finished playing and want to close your account.
The websites of sportsbooks have to offer strict security measures for their users. They should develop a special online application that will ensure the reliability of online betting. Accredited bodies will monitor online betting websites. Each site should be licensed to work. The best way to entrust your data to a website is SSL encryption, which guarantees the protection of your personal information.
Promotions and Bonuses
Promotions and bonuses are the most crucial factor for punters who want to play more and get free rewards. Online sportsbooks represent their concern regarding newcomers and their adaptation on the site through different kinds of welcome bonuses. For example, they can offer a 100% risk-free bet to their new players. You can find different promotions listed on the website of the sportsbook and compare them to other sites in order to choose the best one with the higher bonuses. However, you should pay attention to rules and policies that are related to these bonuses, as often it is not as simple as it seems.
Reputation and Legalization
There are several ways in which you can check the reliability of an online sportsbook. If you have doubts about the casino and its reputation, you should read the reviews of real players about it. Also, the online sportsbook should operate under the license, and all details have been found on their website. But first of all, you should be aware of the current situation with the legalization of online betting in your state, so it is not legal in your area, there is no way that you can find a trustworthy online casino, as they are not allowed.
Choices of Games
Good betting sites provide different types of betting. They cover a wide range of events. This gives users the experience and opportunity to play all their favorite games on one site. You should always check the variety of games before registration, as most sportsbooks have the same basic choice, but there are a lot of cases when some games are unique and can be found only on the particular website.
The gambling industry is constantly evolving, so customers are looking for professional support. Help is needed for both: beginners and experienced players. The support staff will help you in the betting process and in solving any problems, regarding the process of playing on their website. You can check ways in which you can reach Support Department on the website, and choose your preferred method.
Solid sportsbooks and casinos always have various loyalty programs to reward and encourage their regular players. If you want to get benefits from your loyalty to the particular website, you should check offers that online sportsbooks have for such cases. The most basic kind of loyalty program is VIP bonuses for experienced players that devoted much time to bet on this website.
Mobile apps are useful for those who want to place bets and control all aspects of the process of playing in the fastest way. Choosing a solid sportsbook you have to check if this site offers the option to download the mobile app and if this app is supported by the platform of your device. Also, there are some technical aspects that you can find in reviews of other users in order to make sure that this app will not slow down the operation of your device.
When online sports betting will be legalized throughout the state of North Carolina, many new websites will appear. Kind of software has a significant impact on your gambling experience. You should check what kind of software the website uses to make sure that it is provided by reliable companies like NetENT, Novomatic, Evolution Gaming, Playtech Casino, etc.
Online Gambling in North Carolina and Personal Information
In order to legally bet on sports in North Carolina, you must be physically present within the borders of this state. Players will need to share personal information with the sportsbook during the registration process. You should state your name, address and your social security number (the last 4 digits).
Through these actions, you will confirm that you are 21 years old and have reached the legal age for betting. Casino use geolocation software to check that you are actually in North Carolina. If your location is not confirmed, you will be locked out. In order to protect your personal information, you should use only reputable and licensed betting sites.
Sportsbooks Coming To South Carolina
DraftKings is the biggest name and is ready for launch. The operators are waiting for the legalization of North Carolina online sports betting. With that, they will have the permission to operate in the state legally. Once it gets introduced, punters can register and start playing.
Land-Based Sportsbooks In Casinos
Harrah’s Cherokee Valley River
777 Casino Parkway
Murphy, NC 28906
Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort
777 Casino Drive
Cherokee, NC 28719
Partners Of Local Sportsbooks
In 2019, the legalization passed sports betting to allow the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians to open sportsbooks at land-based casinos. William Hill partnered with the Tribe to open retail sportsbooks at the Harrah’s branded casinos in March 2021. Under the present law, online sports betting is still illegal.
How To Register At North Carolina Sportsbooks?
Presently, in-person sports betting is allowed in the state. For that, players have to visit land-based sportsbooks in casinos. It is said that the North Carolina sports betting apps or online sites are expected to launch in 2022. Once introduced, they can sign up on the licensed site by entering the details as asked. It includes name, address, email ID, phone number, age proof, etc. Players must ensure that the particulars they are entering are not wrong. If they enter wrong details, the account cannot be created.
Types of Sports Bets Available in North Carolina
The most common types of bets in North Carolina are Moneyline, total, and parlay. Other types of gambling like spread, teaser, overshoot and round-roller are also popular. Players can bet on a lot of sports: football (soccer), hockey (NHL), basketball (NBA), tennis, etc.
- Moneyline: If you know which team will win the event taking place today, pick a money line bet. It is a risky wager but can give you a big payout. This wager will be present on the best sportsbooks in North Carolina.
- Totals Bets: For this wager, you will find that the operator specifies a number. It is the combined score of both teams that are expected to reach today’s match. If you think the score will be higher, pick on Over or go with Under. This type of wager is known as Over and Under.
Live Betting Options NC
Whether live betting through North Carolina online sportsbooks will be allowed or not cannot be said one. We have to wait for the legalization to take place. After that, we can stress the fact of live betting in NC. The news doing round is the sites and apps that might get introduced by 2022. It means they have to wait for some more time to explore the sports betting options online.
Sports Events In NC That You Should Bet On
This state has some popular teams, both collegiate and professional. The teams that participate in different events are:
- Major League Baseball: The 162-season game started on the 1st of April and will continue till the 3rd of October 2021. Well, if you are interested in placing legal sports bets in North Carolina, visit the sportsbook today. The World Series is expected to take place on the 26th of October 2021.
- National Football Season: Are you ready to start betting on the 2021 NFL Season. The season will begin from the 9th of September 2021 and will be there till the 9th of January 2022. The Playoffs will take place on the 15th of January 2022 and the Super Bowl LVI on the 13th of February 2022.
North Carolina Teams To Bet On
- Carolina Panthers: In the National Football League, the NFL’s Carolina Panthers will lead the way. They play in Charlotte, NC, and have made it to the Super Bowl. They were established on the 26th of October 1993, and are headquartered at Bank of America Stadium Charlotte, North Carolina. They compete in the NFL and are members of the NFC South Division as well.
- Charlotte Hornets: They are an American professional basketball team located in Charlotte, North Carolina. Charlotte Hornets compete in the NBA, and they are owned by a member of the Basketball Hall-of-Fame, Michael Jordan. They play the home games in Uptown Charlotte in the Spectrum Centre.
- Charlotte 49ers: They are an intercollegiate athletics team representing the University of North Carolina. They have 18 teams competing at the NCAA Division I as a Conference USA member. The teams are referred to as Charlotte, Niners, or 49ers.
- Wake Forest Demon Deacons: Wake Forest Demon Deacons compete at the NCAA Division I as an Atlantic Coast Conference member. They have won nine national championships in five different sports. Initially, they were known by the Baptists or the Old Gold and Black.
The bill, S 154 is banned in-state collegiate betting, but there are no limitations in wagering on professional or college sports. They offer standard bets on sports in North Carolina like point spread, Moneyline, futures bets, etc.
Horse Betting In North Carolina
No horse racing operations occur in this state, but it is legal to wager on horse races. The House Bill authorizes wagering on fixed-odds and pari-mutuel horse racing at the casinos.
DFS In NC
Daily Fantasy Sports is legal in this state, and many websites are operating legally. By the time online sports betting gets legalized, players can enjoy playing at DFS sites. The licensed websites are DraftKings, FanDuel, etc.
State Sports Betting Numbers
Paul Lowe and Jim Perry have predicted that the sports betting industry will generate over $50 million in a year. On sports betting revenue, the commission collected would be 8%. This will support education, and half of the tax revenue would enhance economic development and promote jobs. However, the licensing fee for NC would be $500,00 for the first five-year license, and renewals would be $100,000.
Future Development Of Sports Betting In North Carolina
NC sports betting is legal, and recently a sportsbook opened up. SB 688 was passed to legalize mobile betting on the 19th of August 2021, which moved to the House. Two retail sportsbooks are there; besides that, there could be some more in the future. The delay in this sector happened because of the pandemic. The future in this state remains an uphill battle. It’s because the House is split on the issue. Hopefully, there would be good news following which the legalization would take place.
Latest Sports Betting News In North Carolina
In the state, a new sport betting bill was passed by senators Paul Lowe and Jim Perry. They have filed SB 688, which authorizes and enacts sports betting in the state. This new bill will help expand the sports betting market behind two tribal casinos and into the online market. Under this bill, at least ten and not more than 12 online sports betting licenses will be sanctioned. Hence, when the online sports betting in North Carolina gets legalized, players can place wagers from anywhere.
- Is sports betting legal in North Carolina?
- Yes, it is legal in NC.
- Can I bet online on sports in North Carolina?
- No, you can not bet online on sports in NC.
- When will mobile betting launch in North Carolina?
- Mobile betting is expected to be launched in NC towards early 2021.
- Can I bet on horse racing in North Carolina?
- Yes, I can bet on horse racing in NC.
- Should I be 21 years old to have the right to bet?
- Yes, you should be 21 years of age or older to be able to bet on sports. You can create a game account at the age of 18, but without the right to bet on sports.
- Which companies will offer mobile sports betting in North Carolina?
- FanDuel and Harrah's are expected to offer mobile sports betting in NC.
- Is Mybookie legal in North Carolina?
- No, Mybookie is not legal in NC.
- Is it legal to use offshore online betting sites in North Carolina?
- No, it is illegal to use offshore online betting sites in NC.
- How can I start placing bets in North Carolina?
- If you want to start placing bets, move to the land-based sportsbooks, and then you can place wagers.
- Who can bet on sports in North Carolina?
- Individuals who have attained the age requirements can bet on sports in this state.
- Who oversees sports betting in North Carolina?
- The North Carolina Education Lottery looks after sports betting in this state.
- Can I bet on sports with my smartphone in North Carolina?
- Yes, you can bet from the apps and North Carolina sportsbooks after legalization of online sports betting takes place.
- How do I get started with sports betting in North Carolina?
- By visiting the land-based sportsbooks, players can place wagers on their favorite sports events.
- Is Daily Fantasy Sports betting allowed in North Carolina?
- Yes, DFS betting is allowed in this state.
- Is eSports betting allowed in North Carolina?
- No, eSports betting is not allowed in this state.
- How much revenue does sports betting generate in North Carolina?
- The numbers can go up by $50 billion in a year as per predictions made by experts.
- Are FanDuel and DraftKings legal in North Carolina?
- Yes, both are legal in this state, and they are operating as DFS sites.
- How do I download a sportsbook app?
- After legalization takes place, players can download the app from Google and Apple Play Store.
- Do I have to be a North Carolina state resident to play?
- No, you do not have to be an NC state resident to play in this state.
- Do I have to be inside the North Carolina state to play?
- Yes, you have to be inside the state borders to play.
- Can I bet on sports legally in all states?
- Yes, you can wager on sports in states where this is legal.